Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Paging Positivity....Paging Positivity

The power of positive thinking and learning has officially “left the building” so to speak. I believe that the lack of positivity within the classroom has disappeared which is why so many students say that they “hate school” when realistically I think that they just hate the boring structure and the fact that they know most of their teachers hate their jobs. Well those characteristics that the students see in teachers, those are all characteristics I do not posses. I am fun, outgoing, responsible, passionate, and loving. Those are the characteristics that teachers should posses and I think those are the characteristics are what have really driven me to become a teacher. I want to make a difference in people’s lives, and when I reflect back upon who has made a true different in my life my favorite teacher always comes to mind.
I had this one teacher in high school (who as a side note graduated from Moravian) who was so much fun in the classroom, truly loved teaching, and actually cared about us really learning something an applying to real life situations. She had all the characteristics I think I contain and she made a difference in my life and I would imagine many other students’ lives.

So here is a shout out to you Ms. Maurer (well she is married now but I do not know her married name.) She is the reason I have chosen to not listen to what other people have to say and think about teaching because when you are as passionate as I am about making a difference, nothing can stop you. She is also the reason why I am motivated to bring back the power of positive thinking and learning within the classroom because I have seen her do it and I know it is possible. She has influenced my life and my decision to become a powerful and passionate teacher. If I can be half of the teacher she is and make half of the difference that she made in my life in other students life I will consider my career in teaching a success.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you. I remember, especially in high school, that a lot of the teachers didn't seem like they wanted to be teaching, so it made us as students slack off and not care as much either. You will have no problem inspiring your students! We all love to teach, and I hope we all inspire our students :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "If I can be half of the teacher she is and make half of the difference that she made in my life in other students life I will consider my career in teaching a success."

    That doesn't actually seem like a good goal. Don't settle for good, or even "as good as;" instead, settle for better. I would agree there is a major problem with American teachers, and the normal profile of a teacher just doesn't seem to be cutting it anymore. So if she's great, then half of great is still good, right? Wrong.

    Think of it this way. She inspired you by being so great, and you aspire to be even half as great, which I assume to mean you also want to aspire future teachers. But if you're only half as great, and they desire the samething as you, then they'll only be a quarter as great! Then, an eighth as great, and so on. In a flawed system, we can't settle to be just "almost" as good as those who inspired us; we have to actively desire to be better, so that the system can heal and improve until it becomes great for every student.

    ReplyDelete